Saturday, October 8, 2011

The first week of a new life


Well, we've made it through our first week after the move. I knew it would fly by, and boy, has it ever! I know one thing is for sure, there's no way this first week could have gone as smoothly as it has without the help of some wonderful people.

Before I even got here last weekend, Del had already been here the previous week working on the house. Some of the ladies from the church came and helped clean and unpack to lessen the load once I got here. There were people trimming the hedges outside, helping Del move things inside, so much activity went on that helped us out so much. We couldn't say thank you enough, we appreciate it more than you'll ever know. By the time I arrived last Saturday with the girls, Del insisted that I try to rest as much as possible. We were able to relax and watch the girls become familiar with their new surroundings. Thank you, Del. I so appreciate all your hard work during the time we were apart so that things could be ready sooner by the time we arrived. Thank you for encouraging rest once I got here. Del's mother (Mamoo to the girls) came and stayed several days helping out. I could write an entire paragraph on all the things she has done for us during this move. I can't thank you enough, Mom. We love you so much.

The girls have amazed me. Children are so resilient! They have gone through some of the most drastic changes in their lives, and yet they have continued to be happy. They were so excited about the move, the new house, the church, all before we ever arrived. But I was expecting their enthusiasm to fade once reality and finality set in. Being away from their best friends (their grandparents) for the first time in their lives, they have been real troopers. The move in and of itself is a major change, but on top of that, we started homeschooling the girls this week. In the midst of unpacking, cleaning, and adjusting, I have taken on the role of their teacher. I must say that it has gone very, very well this first week. I am highly encouraged.

I have never been a fan of change. Fear of the unknown, worry over the girls adjusting, my husband's new role as Pastor, looking for a part-time job (after leaving a job I loved more than any in my 11 year nursing career), saying goodbye to all of my friends and family, and basically starting a brand new life has brought on mostly sleepless nights for me this week. But I guess that's to be expected. I hope that once we settle into a new routine, so will my circadian rhythm. But I have no doubt whatsoever that this move was the right thing for my family. In the midst of the turmoil of change, I have such a peace in knowing I am in the will of God. I have never, ever taken lightly the phrase "in the will of God". This is the first time I've ever felt quite like this, actually. And it's that feeling that has carried me through the past month, and most definitely this past week.

To all my friends who have prayed for me, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I ask that you continue to remember us in your prayers. I couldn't have made it this far without you. You know who you are, and you are priceless treasures to me. There's nothing on this earth greater than a friend who will stand for you... on their knees.

So... thus begins my new adventure. I am excited, terrified, exhausted, sad and happy all at the same time. But in the midst of this complete change, I'm still smiling. To quote one of my favorite authors, "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.” -Dr. Suess

1 comment:

  1. Your changes have caused changes here as well, and, like you, we are adjusting. People move for work all of the time, all over the world. I am so very thankful that you have moved for the greatest work there has ever been, the work of the Lord.
    The church is the only thing that Jesus ever came for. It's the only thing He ever died for. It's the only thing He's coming back for...and this is what you were raised for.

    ReplyDelete