Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Second Verse Girl



I have started at least five blog posts but haven't been able to finish one of them.  I started writing in a daily journal only to completely stop after two short weeks.  I started taking vitamin supplements hoping to feel better physically only to forget to take them most every day.  I have started writing two new songs with a chorus and a verse (even a bridge to one), but I can't seem to write the second verse.

When my dad came to visit for Father's Day and I told him about my unfinished songs, he told me I needed to be "a second verse girl".  You know; when I think back, there are several songs I never finished, at least half a dozen.  In fact, I haven't finished a song since I was 15.  The creative juices start flowing; but then somewhere in the middle, they tend to abruptly stop and leave me without a clue as to how to end it.  I wonder why that is?  I think it has something to do with losing self confidence somewhere along the way.  I get these great ideas, or hear an amazing sermon, or read a verse that stands out to me in the Bible, or experience something in life that causes me to start thinking about a song.  I start it, but then I can't finish it.

Then there are the little "projects" I have started around the house.  I just stopped typing, shook my head, and smiled.  I immediately thought of three things that I have been trying to do over the past two years.  Something else always takes precedence.  There is always something more important to occupy my time, or at least I think so.

I need to take my Dad's advice to heart and be that "second verse girl".  The ability to finish what one starts has always impressed me.  Anytime I see other people do this, no matter how great or small the project, I always mentally applaud them.  Accomplishment is a wonderful thing.  Starting something is one thing, but finishing it?  Wow.  Amazing.  There is very little in this life that impresses me more.

Aren't you glad God never has this problem with us?  He is the author and finisher of our faith.  Hebrews 12 :2 reads,
" Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."
And what were the last spoken words of Jesus before he died on the cross?
 "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." (John 19:30)
I'm so very glad that God is a "second verse man".  He came to this earth robed in flesh and finished what He started.  He came for the sole purpose of becoming our sacrifice, to pay the penalty for sin once and for all.  And I believe that this same Jesus, the One who knows indeed how to finish what He starts, is able to do the same for us in our own personal lives.  He won't leave you hanging.  When you give your life in total surrender to Him and place everything in His capable hands, He'll take care of you.  I've got to add this verse...
  "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:" (Philippians 1:6)
One more thing... He's coming back.  Every prophecy written concerning the Messiah in the Old Testament was fulfilled in Jesus Christ.  I have every reason to believe that every prophecy concerning His return will also come to pass.

I am so thankful that He finishes what He starts.  How I long to be like Him!  God help me to be that "second verse girl".  Teach me to finish what I start, but most importantly... teach me to be complete in You.

1 comment:

  1. I've always been impulsive. I've had "brilliant" ideas that would make all of the money I would ever need...just to see them deflate like last week's party balloons. I've also heeded the callings of the Lord in my life and have seen dreams fulfilled. I believed the answer lies in knowing what is worthy of perusing and finishing, and that which was bound to fail to begin with. God will show us which is which if we seek Him about it.

    ReplyDelete